I can’t begin to tell you how many times I have a request from someone that they would like for me to share my thoughts or recipes about cooking, baking, recipes, restaurants, etc. I have to admit, I’m really flattered that someone would think of me. It makes me smile even bigger when they’re someone who has gone to culinary school or is a working chef and they’re asking me for my input. Talk about a proud Foodie moment!
This is all great. But I have a confession to make. I don’t always respond to the requests for recipes. Here are some of the reasons why:
- It’s a secret! If I’m trying to create a secret recipe then why would I share it?
- It only looks good in a picture. Yep, it happens. Something that I make will look fabulous in a picture but may be over/under cooked, is over/under seasoned, etc.
- I can’t remember where I got the recipe from. There are times when I look up a recipe that I’m interested in using and then I shut down my computer, without printing it out or saving it in some way. Usually, I will look through several versions of a recipe before I pick one. So, even if I were to go back to my search results, they all look familiar.
- I forgot to write down the recipe. This one is huge. I’m the creative / artistic type, so I tend to create something as I go or from whatever is in the house. If this happens, I will sometimes just write down an ingredient list and keep working on the recipe until I get it “just so”.
- I forget to share the recipe. My intentions are always good. I love sharing what I know. But there are times when I have so much going on that I simply forget.
- I didn’t like the recipe. Sometimes I don’t like a recipe. And if I really don’t like it, I won’t share it because I only share the recipes that I would use for my family and friends (who are more like family anyway).
- It’s an old (usually family) recipe. We all have them in our families. The recipes that say “a glass of this” or “a smidge of that”. A smidge?! Not every smidge is created equal. And glasses come in all shapes and sizes. Which is precisely why you hear people say “I know it’s right because of how it feels/smells/looks”. In these cases, it’s quite the challenge to figure out what the recipe really is.
So, there you have it. What are some of the reasons why you don’t share recipes?